Prep 2021 Enrolment Process
Ironside State School will be conducting a Prep 2021 Parent Information Evening in 2020. We are currently accepting Prep 2021 Enrolment Packs (available from this website page). In the meantime, parents are encouraged to review our "Enrolling at our school" webpage regarding general conditions of enrolment eligibility at Ironside State School. Prospective families are welcome to attend any of our school tours which are conducted each Tuesday during the school term at 9.30am from our Main Administration Office.
Prep Starting Age
In order for your child to be eligible to commence Prep they must be turning five years old by the 30 June in the year they enrol in Prep. This means that if your child was born between the 1 July 2015 and the 30 June 2016 they will be eligible to commence Prep in 2021. It has been compulsory from 2017 for Queensland children to undertake Prep prior to Year
be aware, the compulsory school starting age is different to compulsory participation
Children need to be enrolled when they reach the compulsory school age i.e.
turn six-years and six-months.
When they do enrol, unless there are exceptional circumstances, they will
undertake Prep prior to Year 1.
To determine when your child can commence their prep year, use the prep ready reckoner calculator.
The Early Years Curriculum Guidelines are designed to better prepare children for primary school. It is based around active learning, investigations and play. In Prep children will be:
• Using blocks and other equipment to develop early mathematical concepts and skills
• Building and understanding of the world around them through dramatic play
• Drawing and painting to encourage oral language, reading and writing skills
• Playing and investigating independently, in pairs, in small groups and as a whole class
• Actively making choices about what and how they learn
• Participating in music and language experiences
The learning experiences will help children to:
• Develop oral language, literacy and numeracy skills
• Become independent thinkers and problem solvers
• Learn how to cope with others
• Develop physical co-ordination skills
• Listen to, respond to and give directions