Ironside State School was opened as a temporary structure on the 10th October 1870 and this was soon followed by a more permanent building forty feet long and eighteen feet wide.
The first Principal was Mr William Arthy and the first pupil, Miss Ellen Lane. At that time the school was known as the Toowong State School. When a new school was built at Toowong in 1880, the name was changed to Indooroopilly State School but the building of a new school at Indooroopilly resulted in a further change in name to the Indooroopilly Pocket State School.
Some confusion with the delivery of mail to the school occurred and the name was finally changed in October 1904, to Ironside, after the neighbouring estate owned by Dr John Dunmore Lang.
The central brick structure was erected in 1936 when the total enrolment was 250 pupils. The original oval was hewn from the rocky soil by pick and shovel labour during the depression years in the early thirties. The pool was completed in 1958. In 1970, when the school’s centenary was commemorated, First Floor B Block was constructed as a Library through a co-operative parent-government subsidy project. The present spacious Library and services block was officially opened in July, 1986.
Year One and Two classes are housed in G Block which was completed in November, 1992. The Assembly Hall was completed in 1997. Education Queensland’s Building Better Schools Program has seen a refurbishment and extension of many of our classrooms in 1997 in Blocks A, B, C and F. An After School Care facility was completed under C Block in January 1999.
Prep and Year One classes are housed in D Block which was completed in January 2007. The Art Room under D Block was completed in 2009.
Modifications to the Hall, including new facilities to house Science and Music, was completed in 2011 as part of the Federal Building Education Revolution project.
These projects have all reflected the enormous community support the school has enjoyed for many years.